Who We Are The Washtenaw County Conservation District is a local agency of state government organized under provisions of the Michigan State Conservation District Law, Act 297, Public Acts of 1937, as amended; and the updated Conservation District Law, Act 463 of 1998. Boundaries of the District are those of Washtenaw County.
Our Mission To assist landowners with, and provide leadership in, the conservation, management and wise use of natural resources of Washtenaw County.
History The Washtenaw County Conservation District was organized in 1948 through the process of petition, hearing and referendum under leadership of some very dedicated landowners who realized the importance of our soil and water resources.At a May 6, 1948 referendum, county land occupiers elected L.G. Steiner, Neil Nixon, and Walter Wolfgang as the District's first directors. Subsequent appointments by the State Soil Conservation Committee of William Hayes and Sam T. Bailo completed the first Board of Directors.
Affiliations The Washtenaw County Conservation District is a member of the Michigan Association of Conservation Districts (MACD), and supports efforts of the National Association of Conservation Districts (NACD).
Michigan Association of Conservation Districts: Official web site for the state association that works with all Conservation Districts in Michigan. Find contact information and web sites for other Conservation Districts in the state.